Friday, November 20, 2009

Let the Next Phase of Pregnancy Begin

I cannot even begin to explain to you how miserable I was during the next phase of pregnancy. When we found out we were pregnant we were so happy and all I kept hearing was about how wonderful being pregnant was. Umm...I dont know what planet these pregnant people were from but starting in week 7, I was MISERABLE. I had heard about morning sickness but why it is called that is beyond me. Sure I was sick in the morning, but I was also sick at noon and night. There was no such thing as relief. I would think I found something to help cure the constant nausea and vomiting but my body would quickly say..."GUESS AGAIN". I remember laying on the floor of the bathroom sobbing that I did not know how I would get through it. My sweet husband just sat there rubbing my head promising that I would get through it and to just think about the baby that would come from all this sickness. While that was comforting and I know once I am holding my son I will say those words, " I would do it all over again", in that moment on the bathroom floor, I wanted to curl up and die!
I spent two tours in the hospital with what they call hyperemesis of pregnancy. It can best be defined as HELL! Not only for me but my husband as well. He stayed with me each night in the hospital on the uncomfortable chair/bed with nurses in and out all night and then would get up at 5:30 am and go to work just to do it all over again the next night. My doctor assured me that once I got to week 12, things would get better but I reminded her that this was me and not most women. This nightmare continued all the way through week 17. I do not have many pictures to upload from this time in my pregnancy because most of it was spent horizontal in the bed or sitting with my head hanging over the toilet.
I can tell you that I did learn a few things from this experience that I will take with me forever...
1. My husband is the most amazing man in the world.
2. When people say "WE are pregnant" they truly mean it. For example, sure, I am carrying the baby in my belly but my husband is sticking by me every step of the way. He is gaining the weight that I am losing because I cannot stand the smell of ANY food in my house.
3. Whoever said being pregnant is pure bliss...LIED!
4. Even though I learned number 3 the hard way...and will probably give my body a long break before we even discuss having another baby, I know that everything we went through will pay off big time in just a few short weeks (or less at this point). :)

No comments: